Lorraine: Hip at 50
Season 1 Episode 19
Lovely (and little) Lorraine is turning 50 and wants to celebrate in style! She asked us to help her put together a hot birthday look for her trip to New York City. Fashionista David Dixon judges our efforts.
Our Style Mission
What better way to turn the big FIVE-O than to treat yourself to a trip to New York City? Petite birthday girl Lorraine asked for our help to break out of her frumpy duds and create a hip at 50 look for her bash in The Big Apple.
Our guest expert is fashion designer David Dixon, whose celebrity fans include Pamela Anderson, Meg Ryan, and Jennifer Love Hewitt. He had these tips for dressing lovely lady Lorraine:
- Lorraine is a petite woman, so don’t cut her up. You want to keep her look clean, and give her a sense of fun and whimsy.
Black is a good launching pad to build your wardrobe upon. But when you really want to make a statement, bring in colour to add personality. A simple touch of colour can create a freshness in your look.
For boots, stay away from anything too high. If they go to the knee, they risk cutting her off visually.
The important thing in today’s fashion is to go with something you feel comfortable in, but that also dares you a little bit and brings you out of your shell.
Our Look Book
For newly-single Lorraine, we chose pieces to take her wardrobe up a notch and push her out of her conservative comfort zone. Our biggest challenge was to find pieces that were both hip and age-appropriate.
- Black vintage leather jacket (consignment): $110 at Deluxe Junk Co.
- Dark blue denim vintage jeans (consignment): $16 at Deluxe Junk Co.
- Light brown suede boots: $135 at Nine West
- Black sleeveless Calvin Klein bead-detail top: $42 at The Bay
- Brass-look, square-bead bracelet: $16 at The Bay
- Cranberry red, fold-over purse/tote: $47 at Nine West
David Dixon’s opinion
There are a lot of mixed messages. Fifty as an age means nothing. She looks like she’s going to a mall, rather than New York City.
Individually they’re great pieces, but what’s distracting is the boots. They are cutting her off. I would have done black.
It’s a little safe, overall. The bag looks like something she may have already had.
- I like the top. It’s one of those day-to-night pieces that you can pull off easily.
Did our style picks make the “Do List” or “Don’t List”?
Lorraine loved the entire look. She said she would feel beautiful and confident wearing these pieces walking the streets of Manhattan. “I’ll feel like a million dollars!”
David Dixon liked most of the pieces we chose, but not all together in this look we assembled. He says we “touched on” the hip at 50 look, but didn’t achieve it fully.
We think Lorraine will have a great time in New York!
Leather jackets on consignment: always check for quality. The leather shouldn’t be stiff or cracked, and the lining should be in one piece (although you can get a tailor to repair any rips). Also, remember to check everywhere for stains, and give it a good sniff. If it smells bad, you won’t wear it.
Great shoes and boots are an important part of a look and are not something to cheap out on. Best bet is to shop the sale season to snap up those great deals on a tiny budget.
- Hip 50 tips from David Dixon: don’t be afraid to glam up; be careful about adding bulk around the belly; a dash of colour goes a long way.
Other Show Segments
- Product Test: Fit Shoes
- Beauty Tips: Day-into-night make-up
- Style Tips: You are what you wear
Please note: opinions expressed about fashion and beauty in this article are just that: our opinions. Feeling beautiful on the inside is what matters most, but we like to do what we can on the outside too.