Words of Wisdom
As a kid I kept a notebook where I jotted down the best quotes, proverbs and aphorisms I could find. I would go through quote anthologies and faithfully transcribe every piece of wisdom that spoke to me.
Much of it was pretty saccharine, like, “Good things come to those who wait” or “When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.” Remember that one?
Today, I’m looking for something more, something to get me through. As you’ve likely observed, life is hard. When I’m having a tough day or week, I reach for my beloved quotes. As I curated them for this blog I realized that currently I’m drawn to the “kick you in the pants” variety of inspiration.
Here is my top ten list of favourite quotes. May they give you a boost on a bleak day or at the very least, a chuckle or a knowing nod. And if you have any to add to the list, please do. It’s always a good time to hear new words of wisdom.
1. Fall down seven times get up eight.
2. Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work.
Thomas A. Edison
3. Are you going to cowboy up or just lie there and bleed?
4. Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Attributed to Margaret Mead
5. Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies.
6. You can’t take back stupid.
7. Faith is taking the first step, even when you don’t see the whole staircase.
Dr. Martin Luther King
8. All the beautiful sentiments in the world weigh less than a single lovely action.
James Russell Lowell
9. One of these days is none of these days.
10. One of the secrets to a happy life is continuous small treats.