Last Minute Valentine’s Day Wisdom
You've bought the card, that's a good first step. But now you're staring at it's blank inside, unsure of what to write. Depending on where you're at in your romance, maybe you don't want to say too much. Or if you're well down the road to forever, perhaps you're afraid of saying too little.
They say communication is the key to a great relationship. I tend to agree and I can’t imagine any other grown-up who wouldn’t. Who hasn’t hasn’t had an episode go wrong (let alone an entire relationship) and then later, in the quiet darkness where it’s just you and your thoughts you’ve admitted to yourself that if you’d just articulated what you really felt, things might have gone differently. It amazes me how we all struggle to use our words.
So on this Valentine’s Day if communication isn’t your strong suit, here are a few suggestions to get you going. (It’s ok to plagiarize. Just because you didn’t write these words doesn’t mean they aren’t true.)
* Dear (insert pet name here if applicable),
- “You give me reason to smile.”
- “I love you so much I can’t breathe.”
- Top 10 things I love/like about you: (of course you’ll have to come up with your own, but consider both character traits and the more superficial because we all care about that too. Things like, humility, honesty, sense of humour and also the way their hair falls or the feel of one’s touch. The key to this list is to be as specific as possible. That is, what is it about their sense of humour that you love so much? The way they tell a joke? The sound of their laugh? Take something general and make it specific.
- “Where there is love there is life.” (ok, Ghandi wrote that one)
- “When I’m with you reality is better then my dreams. Let’s stay awake forever.”
- “Love is like wine. The older the better.”
- “I love you without knowing how, why or even from where.” (Patch Adams)
- “I love you like crazy!”
- “For you see, each day I love you more. Today more than yesterday and less than tomorrow.” (Rosamonde Gerard)
- “I love the sound of your voice, the feel of your touch and the smell of your skin.”
- “Where have you been all my life?!”
- “I know I’m not good enough for you, but I plan on spending the rest of my life trying to be.” (This one is only for the most serious as it should probably come with a little box and on bended knee)
Whether it’s with a greeting card, a text or a phone call, just make sure you say it. Happy Valentine’s Day!!
What about you? What are your favourite love sayings? Feel free to add to the list!
Image credit above: Vintage American Valentine, photo by Mark Gsthol